Friday, June 14, 2013

Pistachio Crusted Asparagus

Happy Friday everyone.
It's the last day of a normal work week, but the beginning of mine.
I turned 24 on Wednesday so I haven't been to work since Tuesday! I have to admit, I'm ready to get back. I find when I'm not working, I'm out spending the money I didn't make that day.
Although I HAD to get to the Dollar Tree.. they have the only dish sponges that don't get smelly after a week's use. I ended up having to throw them away the last time I bought them only because I used them so long, they were falling apart. Silly me, I go to Publix and get the $5 pack of 2, and after two days, I'm throwing everything in the dishwasher because I can't stand the smell that lingers on my hands for the rest of the day when I use the pricy sponges.
My birthday was wonderful. The boyfriend took me to breakfast at a favorite place of mine, Jan's Place in downtown Jensen Beach, where I got the salmon benedicts and Craig made his own mound of goodies in scrambled eggs, on top of an English muffin. That night we had dinner at Benihana. I highly recommend signing up for the Chef's Table on their website. During your birthday month, they send a $30 gift certificate to use on dinner. For the past two years we have been doing this. (It's just an excuse to have a really good meal twice a year.)
 
Enough blabbering, LET'S EAT
 
I made this side dish a few months ago and we ended up loving it. I love all types of veggies with fresh lemon, but this has to be a favorite.
 
 
 ________________________________________________________
 
Ingredients for Pistachio Crusted Asparagus:
  • 1 bundle of asparagus (usually around a pound)
  • 1 handful of pistachios
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 dash garlic salt
  • 1/4 cup shredded Italian mix cheese
  • 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
Ingredients for Applewood Baked Chicken:
  • 1 pound uncooked thawed chicken breast
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon Grill Mates Applewood Rub
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice


 
I really like these chicken tenderloins. They are thin so they cook faster (and look at that price!)
 
 
I prepared the chicken how I always do, spray the pan, add the Grill Mates Applewood rub and garlic salt. PREHEAT your oven at this time. 350 degrees.
 
(here's a closer look)
 
 
Prepare your asparagus. I got this bundle at Nelson's farmers market. I remember going to elementary school right next door from the market. All it was back then was a tent. Now it's a huge covered pavilion FILLED with fresh fruits and veggies, breads and jams. They even have a garden area where you can plant your own items. 
 
 
Cut off the ends of your asparagus. I go about 1/3 of the way up.
 
 
Spray your pan and sprinkle a little garlic salt on your asparagus.
Yes, my pan is tiny. We have a double- oven so I only use the top to save energy. I have to use the two tiny pans to fit the asparagus with the chicken :)
 
 
Slice your lemon.
 
 
If you don't have a chopper, that's fine. Place your de-shelled pistachios in a plastic Ziploc, seal and hammer it until it's crumb- like.
 
 
I only had about a handful of pistachios left. These go fast in this house.
 
 
Take the shells off and place them in your chopper.
 
 
Pulse 10 times.
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is a good consistency. Crumby and some bigger pieces are left.
 
 
Quarter your lemon and squeeze a wedge in your pistachios.
 
 
 

 
Add a teaspoon of parmesan cheese and mix up your mixture.
 
 
Sprinkle the mixture over your asparagus.
 
 
Pop it into the oven, along with your chicken and hop in the shower (at least that's what I did).
 
 
350 degrees for 25 minutes (I'm a little behind)
 
 
 
Look how well they work together ;)
 
 
Get your lemon ready.
 
 
Take both your chicken and asparagus out and squeeze a 1/4 lemon over the chicken and a different quarter over the asparagus.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Add Italian mix shredded cheese.
 
 
Oh my goodness. Enjoy.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :)

Read more: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#ixzz2ccZc1xga