Wednesday, January 8, 2014

French Onion Soup + the Christmas Ham Bone

Happy Wednesday night.
I am keeping warm in this blistering 65 degrees in south Florida in bed as I type this blog.
I do hope everyone up north is staying warm, in all seriousness.
We had highs of 52 yesterday, and I do have to say I had to force myself to get outside and jog even more so than usual. Chino (the pup) loves the cooler weather and enjoyed all 1.4 miles around the neighborhood.

I made this soup about a week ago, since I was having a serious french onion soup craving and realized we still had our Christmas ham bone.
I found a recipe on allrecipes.com when I searched "best french onion soup".
I omitted the bread, saving on some carbs (plus I'm not a fan of soggy bread; I usually give that part to the boyfriend).
Here is everything you will need for your crockpot.
I started this around 9pm and cooked it on low until the next afternoon when we had it for lunch.


what you will need:
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 carton chicken broth
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • a generous dash of worcestershire
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic (I used a reduced balsamic I made)
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO (for sauteing the onions in)
  • 2 red onions
  • 2 sweet onions
  • salt and pepper to taste (remember the ham can be very salty, you can always add more later)
  • 1 bay leaf 
  • 1 teaspoon tyme 
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • and OF COURSE your leftover ham bone from the holidays (with plenty of ham left on the bone ;))





Saute the onions for 20 mins until they are soft.


Pop the ham bone in the crockpot. Look at all that meat! I told the family I call dibs on every bone after Christmas dinner so I can be sure to make this soup every year.


Add all of the ingredients. 


MmMMMmm who doesn't Loveeee sauteed onions?




Look how cute these cups are. They are oven, microwave and dishwasher safe. Found at Publix for $3.99 each. 


 Unfortunately, our oven is not working, so I cannot provide a picture of my soup with the baked swiss cheese on top (it had to go into the microwave). LOL, improvise :)



Around noon the soup was hot and ready to go!


It was definitely the BEST french onion soup I have ever had. Even Craig loved it and he's a huge french onion fan also.
Again, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a happy new year.
God Bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :)

Read more: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#ixzz2ccZc1xga